Monday, August 31, 2009

the wonderfully workable wardrobe

A wonderfully working wardrobe begins with the principles of being unique, practical, feminine, modest, and creative.

Uniqueness

What is a girl's wardrobe if not uniquely her? A person's clothes, we have heard, can tell a lot about a person, and it's true. You can learn if a person is more old-fashioned, classic, sporty, practical, artsy, country, etc. It reflects a lifestyle and a person's view of himself. What are your clothes saying about you? I hope it says that you put value on purity and that you enjoy being the unique young woman God has designed you to be.

In my humble opinion, a girl's wardrobe should display her individuality as well as serve it's practical purpose of protection, and it's providing of modesty. So show your personality in the way that you dress!

I'm kind of artsy and I like classy vintage styles, so for me, showing my personality in the way I dress looks like adding unique items or the classics, like pearls to an outfit. I love hand-me-down jewelry from the woman of my family. I have many neat pieces that have first belonged to mother, grandmothers, and sister. One lady gave my mother a bundle of clothes and in them I found this vintage print pillowcase that I made into a one-of-a-kind skirt that I just love!

Femininity
You're a girl:
rejoice! Being feminine in dress doesn't mean being uber girly, but rather it means and says, "I am glad to have been made a woman!" Do your clothes say otherwise?

I think this poems sums it up wonderfully:

True Femininity

Is it curling the hair
Or painting the face?
Pinning on bows,
Pink ribbons and lace?
Flounce and frills,
Bracelets and rings?
Polishing nails?
Is it all of these things?

No, you can't pin it on
Like a bow in your hair.
You can't put it on
Like a garment you wear.
It's deeper than ornaments
Gracing the skin.
For true femininity
Comes from within!

It glows from a heart
That is gentle and kind,
A soul that is chaste,
An honest, pure mind.
Without inner goodness
How futile the bows,
For "pinning on petals"
Can n'er make a rose!

--E.H.

More on femininity and feminine dress here.


Practicality
Do your clothes work in your everyday life? Here is a blog post about building a workable wardrobe and yet another about "styling the basics".

Must Haves for Your Closet
Styling the Basics

Modesty
When I was younger, I didn't know a whole lot about the reasons for modesty. "Well," I would reason, "isn't it the guys' responsibility to guard their own eyes and control themselves?" Guys are going to have to give an account someday for their every thought and action before the Lord (thank the Lord for the covering of His son's blood), this is true, but so are we girls.

When I think about modesty, I often think about Romans 14:13 which says, "
Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way." When dressing in a way that heavily accentuates the beautiful and attractive form designed by the Lord, we are causing a brother to stumble. So, be a good sister, even if it does mean putting in some extra effort. ;-)

Not sure what may be a stumbling block to the guys? Check out a group who dared to be candid on the subject.





Modesty Survey: http://www.therebelution.com/modestysurvey/

And you have to ask yourself, who am I wanting to attract? If your a wanting a young man who responds to his physical attraction without restraint, then dressing carelessly is a calling card for him. But if you're wanting a man who is striving for purity himself, than that sort of dress is going to turn him off big time.

Creativity
Let's face it, there aren't many of us that have a lot of funds to work with when it comes to investing in our wardrobe, but that's okay! Why? Because, we are given the awesome opportunity to be innovative, crafty, and resourceful. Making a wardrobe of hand-me-downs, sale-rack finds, and thrift-store treasures can be great fun!

One of my favorite books captures the essence of what I'm hoping to get across,

"
Having no ornaments fine enough for this important occasion, Amy looped her fleecy skirts with rosy clusters of azalea, and framed the white shoulders in delicate green vines. Remembering the painted boots, she surveyed her white satin slippers with girlish satisfaction, and chassed down the room, admiring her aristocratic feet all by herself.

...Amy was gratified, but of course didn't show it, and demurely answered, "Foreign life polishes one in spite of one's self. I study as well as play, and as for this"--with a little gesture toward her dress--"why, tulle is cheap, posies to be had for nothing, and I am used to making the most of my poor little things. Amy rather regretted that last sentence, fearing it wasn't in good taste, but Laurie liked her better for it, and found himself both admiring and respecting the brave patience that made the most of opportunity, and the cheerful spirit that covered poverty with flowers."

Quote from
Little Woman by Louisa May Alcott



Any thoughts on any of this?


signature


1 comment:

HIS daughter said...

I love this post! Especially the uniqueness part. Sometimes it can be SO hard to blend modesty with your style BUT it is always possible with a little bit of creativity :) I think my style is...um "flower child" with the long flowy skirts but I love elegance at the same time...I think the challenge to make a modest blend is a challenge but a fun one :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin